Helping young adults get set for life.
One of the largest programs in the U.S. helping former foster and transition-age youth become successful, independent adults. More importantly, one of the only programs to show positive, proven results.
WHAT IS LIFESET?
Youth Villages LifeSet is a program that gives young adults the support and guidance they need to make a successful transition to adulthood. We primarily work with at-risk youth and young adults leaving the foster care, juvenile justice and mental health systems. LifeSet specialists meet with participants at least once a week and are available 24/7 to help the young adult. Young people typically participate in the program for 6-12 months, based on their needs. Since 1999, Youth Villages LifeSet has helped more than 9,000 young people aging out of state custody or other care arrangements successfully transition to independence. Through funding from Blue Meridian Partners, we’re committed to making comprehensive services available to each of the 20,000 young people who age out of foster care annually in the United States by 2026.
WHAT IS ‘SET FOR LIFE’?
Youth Villages LifeSet specialists help former foster youth identify their goals and guide them each step of the way. To be ‘set for life’ is to…
- Strive to finish high school or earn a GED
- Apply for college and scholarships and begin a college career
- Find suitable and stable housing
- Learn money management skills
- Find and maintain employment
- Apply for medical insurance and seek physical and mental health services
- Access community resources
- Build and maintain healthy relationships
- Learn about sexual health and well being, with a focus on pregnancy prevention
- Develop strong parenting skills
- Establish lifelong connections with caring adults
- Intensity: Small caseloads of 8-10 young adults per specialist with a minimum of one face-to-face session per week as well as other communication throughout the week.
- Comprehensive services: Specialists help youth achieve their goals with education, employment, housing, permanency, basic independent living skills.
- Youth-driven: Young adults have input into their service plans, goal development and the group activities.
- Training and supervision: Staff receive extensive on-the-job training as well as weekly group supervision and consultation with quarterly boosters and other training as needed.
- Formalized program model: Uses evidence-based interventions as clinically necessary.
- Program evaluation: Youth Villages checks in with young people 6, 12 and 24 months after they’ve completed the LifeSet program.
- Philosophy: We do whatever it takes. Specialists are expected to achieve success with a high percentage of the young adults; the case outcomes are the specialists’ responsibility.
- Collaboration: The Youth Villages LifeSet program works closely with other support systems to help ensure consistent and effective services are provided.
Youth Villages offers LifeSet in the states/cities listed below. Please see individual state pages for office locations and services offered through each location:
Created with Raphaël 2.1.0ASMPVIGUPRMICAIDWAORNVAZUTCOMTWYNDSDNEKSNMTXOKMNIAMSLAALKYSCGAMOARTNNCWIILINOHWVVAPANYMEFLAKHIMANH