AmeriCorps Program at Inner Harbour Campus
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs, often referred to as the “domestic Peace Corps” that improves lives and fosters civic engagement. The Youth Villages AmeriCorps program is celebrating its 20th year and has been recognized by Innovations in Civic Participation as one of the 52 most innovative AmeriCorps programs in the country. The program also has been selected by the Corporation for National Service (CNCS) for a Harkin Excellence in AmeriCorps Award and as the Atlanta Community Tool Bank’s “Volunteer Team of the Year.”
Outcome evaluation for the program shows that AmeriCorps members make a real difference in the lives of Youth Villages students. During the 2018-2019 service year, 95% of students meeting tutoring criteria showed an increase in academic engagement and 89% achieved improved life skills in one or more deficit areas. Nearly 90% of youth who participated in service learning initiatives felt they made a difference and almost 85% were committed to volunteering in the community upon discharge from care.
Also in 2018-2019, Youth Villages AmeriCorps service members:
- Dedicated approximately 21,000 hours to tutoring, life skills, afterschool/summer programming, service learning, classroom assistance and community-strengthening activities.
- Provided 200 outdoor kitchen sessions focused on healthy living and nutrition in conjunction with our community garden.
- Helped over 50 youth achieve a vocational certification to support future work and life success.
- Offered 360 hours of afterschool programming focusing on the arts, outdoor activities, skill-building, fitness and academics.
- Supported numerous nonprofits and organizations in the metro Atlanta area and state of Georgia with high-level service through weekly “Service Friday” projects.