Therapeutic Recreation Internships
As an intern in the Recreation Therapy Program at Youth Villages, you will have the opportunity to do some of the following:
- Work under the supervision of an NCTRC certified staff member
- During the first half, interns shadow one or more recreation therapists as well as interacting with youth from multiple programs across the Inner Harbour Campus.
- During the second half, interns are designated a specific group(s) where they work with the other recreation therapists to facilitate the groups sessions typically held 3 times per week.
- Learn how to complete assessments and clinical documentation
- Sessions include having the child set objectives or goals they want to accomplish during the activity and evaluating those objectives at the end of each session.
- Interns also participate in treatment team planning which includes setting recreational goals that are implemented during sessions in addition to the child’s other therapeutic goals.
- Intern schedules will typically include a combination of weekdays and weekend days in their schedules.
- Exposure to therapeutic African drumming and also outdoor wilderness activities that may include caving, ropes courses, canoeing and hiking (depending on location)
**On-campus housing may be available at no cost to the intern for Douglasville, GA location, if desired.**