Therapeutic Recreation Internships
To apply for Fall 2019 rec therapy internships in Memphis, TN– click here
Fall 2019 Internships for Douglasville, GA location are closed now.
Youth Villages offers unpaid internships in our Recreation Therapy Program at the Inner Harbour Campus in Douglasville, GA and also at various campuses in Memphis, TN.
As an intern in the Recreation Therapy Program at Youth Villages, you will have the opportunity to do some of the following:
- Work under the supervision of an NCTRC certified staff member
- During the first half, interns shadow one or more recreation therapists as well as interacting with youth from multiple programs across the Inner Harbour Campus.
- During the second half, interns are designated a specific group(s) where they work with the other recreation therapists to facilitate the groups sessions typically held 3 times per week.
- Learn how to complete assessments and clinical documentation
- Sessions include having the child set objectives or goals they want to accomplish during the activity and evaluating those objectives at the end of each session.
- Interns also participate in treatment team planning which includes setting recreational goals that are implemented during sessions in addition to the child’s other therapeutic goals.
- Intern schedules will typically include a combination of weekdays and weekend days in their schedules.
- Exposure to therapeutic African drumming and also outdoor wilderness activities that may include caving, ropes courses, canoeing and hiking (depending on location)
**On-campus housing may be available at no cost to the intern for Douglasville, GA location, if desired.**