Mentoring in Massachusetts
Apply to become a mentor today!
(Mentoring is available in the Woburn, Raynham, Worcester and Springfield areas.)
In Massachusetts, Youth Villages offers mentoring opportunities through our LifeSet Program.
LifeSet is a program that gives young adults from age 17-22 the support and guidance they need to make a successful transition to adulthood. We primarily work with at-risk youth and young adults leaving the foster care, juvenile justice and mental health systems. LifeSet specialists meet with participants at least once a week and are available 24/7 to help the young adult.
Read More about LifeSet.
Why should you become a young adults mentor?
Mentors provide young people with positive adult influences and help them overcome obstacles in their lives and make the right decisions.
Studies show that individuals who have just one consistent, caring adult in their lives:
- Are less likely to drop out of school
- Have fewer run-ins with the law
- Build better relationships with their own families
As a mentor, you will have the opportunity to:
- Support a young adult through an ongoing one-on-one relationship
- Serve as a positive role model and friend
- Plan and participate in activities together
- Build self-esteem and motivation in a young person
- Set goals with your mentee and work toward accomplishing them
- Spend 4 to 6 hours per month one-on-one with mentee
As a mentor, you will receive:
- Initial training
- Ongoing support and mentor/mentee group activities
- Satisfaction of knowing that you are making a difference
- Complimentary tickets to community events when available