Youth Villages offers unpaid internships in our Recreation Therapy Program at the Inner Harbour Campus in Douglasville, Ga.
Our Summer 2017 application is now open. This is a very competitive internship, so please apply now
As an intern in the Recreation Therapy Program at the Youth Villages Inner Harbour, you will have the opportunity to do some of the following:
- Work under the supervision of an NCTRC certified staff member
- First half of the internship is spent shadowing one or more recreation therapists, as well as interacting with youth from multiple programs across the Inner Harbour Campus
- Interns learn how to complete assessments and clinical documentation
- During the second half, interns are designated a specific group(s) where they work with the other recreation therapists to facilitate the groups sessions typically held 3 times per week
- Each session is usually 1-2.5 hours long
- Sessions include having the child set objectives or goals they want to accomplish during the activity and evaluating those objectives at the end of each session.
- Interns also participate in treatment team planning which includes setting recreational goals that are implemented during sessions in addition to the child’s other therapeutic goals.
- Interns typically work one weekend day and four weekdays (i.e. Sunday – Thursday or Tuesday – Saturday)
- Outdoor wilderness activities that include caving, ropes courses, canoeing and hiking are frequent settings for the group sessions.
On-campus housing is available at no cost to the intern, if desired.